Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Tofu Tikka Masala {Vegan}

Every time I wear white, I spill something red on myself. Wine, sauce, beet juice (true story). Every. Damn. Time. It never fails.

Vegan Tofu Tikka Masala | A Hoppy Medium

This time was no different. I was [stupidly] wearing one of my only white cardigans while I made the tomato-based sauce for this Tofu Tikka Masala. And it splattered everywhere...on me. I was out of Tide to Go pens, so I frantically doused my shirt in water in hopes that would remove the stains while I finished dinner.

Vegan Tofu Tikka Masala | A Hoppy Medium

Dinner ended up being too delicious to care, and in some sort of miracle, the stains were gone once I remembered the sweater in the other room. I'd call that a successful night (and meal).

Tofu Tikka Masala
Yields: 6 servings
-16 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
-4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
-Salt and black pepper
-1 yellow onion, diced
-6 ounces tomato paste
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon ground ginger
-2 teaspoons ground turmeric
-1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
-1 teaspoon ground coriander
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-Pinch of cayenne
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes
-1 cup frozen peas
-1/2 cup coconut milk
-Chopped cilantro, for garnish

Directions:
1.) Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Spread the tofu on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes or until crispy on the outside and slightly browned, turning tofu at least once so they brown on all sides. Set aside.
2.) Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, heat the remaining olive oil. Add the onion, tomato paste, and garlic to the pot. Cook, stirring often, until the tomato paste has darkened and the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spices to the pot and cook, stirring constantly, until the bottom of the pot begins to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
3.) Add the tomatoes with their juices, crushing the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. (You can continue to crush the tomatoes gradually as the sauce cooks - the goal is to not have huge chunks of tomato in the sauce at the end). Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, stirring frequently and scraping up any brown bits. Cook until sauce thickens, about 8 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook until warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.
4.) Add in the coconut milk and tofu. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with Basmati rice and warm naan. (We also served ours with Trader Joe's Mango-Ginger Chutney - not necessary, but definitely delicious!).

*Side note: I almost never measure my spices, but I included measurements above to give you an idea of how much I put in of each. Just taste along the way to make sure the sauce is flavorful and fragrant to your liking. 

Vegan Tofu Tikka Masala | A Hoppy Medium

This sauce is creamy and incredibly flavorful, without being overly heavy (like a lot of traditional tikka masalas can be). I loved the peas for the added nutrition and texture, but feel free to add your favorite vegetables as well.

This dish makes a cozy, comforting meal on a chilly night, without being full of guilt. So make yourself a big bowl and dig the heck in!

Do you also always spill on yourself when you wear white? Or am I just that clumsy?


6 comments:

  1. I have been craving Indian food nonstop lately and also have been trying to get away from meat during the break between holidays. This looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always crave Indian food this time of year, too! Let me know if you make this. :)

      Delete
  2. I have a tried and true chicken tikka masala i've made for years. I really like tofu and your version seems fantastic, bookmarking for my next Indian craving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spill on myself no matter what color I'm wearing. So much so, that I barely wear white at all! This all looks great--I need to try this method of tofu roasting ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I have a lot in common when it comes to spilling! ;) And yeah, I love this method - super easy, and the tofu comes out nice and crispy every time.

      Delete