Friday, January 15, 2016

Beer Friday: Toaster Pastry by 21st Amendment Brewery

Every Friday, I'll share a beer I particularly enjoy, and think you might as well. This series will feature beers from all over the U.S. (and when we're lucky, the world). Cheers!

Toaster Pastry by 21st Amendment | A Hoppy Medium

i originally tried this beer when Z and I were in San Diego (remember the pizza leftovers we ate for breakfast? My first slice, the night before, was washed down with a pint of this). I was initially intrigued by the name, as my childhood breakfasts regularly consisted of Pop-Tarts and/or Toaster Strudels. However, we learned just this week where the name comes from: this was the first beer brewed at 21st Amendment's new brewery space, which just so happens to be the former toaster pastry factory. (In other words, no Pop-Tarts were harmed in the brewing of this beer).

Anyway - onward! Here's the good word on why you may want to drink this:

What: Toaster Pastry by 21st Amendment Brewery, San Francisco and San Leandro, CA

Style: India-style Red Ale

ABV: 7.6%

Tasting Notes: I really wanted more jam out of this - I was expecting Pop-Tarts, after all. However, I do have to say the very subtle strawberry jam was nice (I'll take what I can get). The mouthfeel wasn't too thin, although it was just thin enough to make this dangerously drinkable...without being boring. An apparent maltiness also gave this brew the "crust" flavor I was looking for. 

Pairing Suggestion: Pizza, of course! But really, this beer is light enough to pair well with a variety of foods, especially pub grub-style - think burgers, sandwiches, salty fries, and happy hour snacks. 

Where Can I Find It? Toaster Pastry is brewed by 21st Amendment year-round, and can be found via can or on tap at a variety of places throughout the U.S. Click here to see where you can grab a liquid Pop-Tart near you. (Local to Portland, we had a happy hour pint at Lightning Will in NW).

Have you tried Toaster Pastry yet? If yes, what's your review? 

No comments:

Post a Comment