Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Sweet and Spicy Tempeh Stir-Fry {Vegan}

I admit: I've been a little obsessed with rice lately.

Sweet & Spicy Tempeh Stir-Fry | A Hoppy Medium

About 95% of my recipes on here have been "over rice." I get it. I have a problem. And I promise this is the last one for a while.

I've just been on a rice kick as a way to avoid eating too many heavy carbohydrates at dinner time. I tend to drink several beers during the week, and I'm always looking for ways to cut back on my nightly carbs. But I get it: too much rice is a boring thing.

But before I go on my rice hiatus, I needed to share one more best-over-rice recipe...because it's tasty, easy to throw together, and super satiating. You'll forgive me, right?

Sweet & Spicy Tempeh Stir-Fry | A Hoppy Medium

Sweet & Spicy Tempeh Stir-Fry
Yields: 4 servings
-One batch of Chile-Garlic Sauce (minus the tofu, obviously)
-12 ounces tempeh, cut into chunks
-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-1/2 large yellow onion (or 1 small), thinly sliced
-1 large garlic clove, minced
-2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
-1 medium bunch asparagus, chopped
-1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
-1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks (in their own juice; not syrup!); cut chunks in half
-Splash of low-sodium soy sauce
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-1 cup cooked Basmati rice
-For garnish: roughly chopped raw cashews and chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
1.) In a medium bowl, mix tempeh with Chile-Garlic sauce, ensuring each piece of tempeh is coated with the "good stuff." Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
2.) In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and cook until almost translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
3.) Add peppers and asparagus to the pan. Cook until both begin to soften, and asparagus is almost fork-tender (about 5 minutes). Add jalapeno and marinated tempeh (and all the excess sauce!) and stir, cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add pineapple and soy sauce and cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until pineapple is warm. Taste, and season as necessary with salt and black pepper.
4.) Scoop the stir-fry mixture over (or next to) a bed of Basmati rice. Garnish with chopped cashews and plenty of fresh cilantro.

Sweet & Spicy Tempeh Stir-Fry | A Hoppy Medium

The crunchy cashews, sweet pineapple, spicy tempeh, and boat-load of vegetables is an incredible combination here. Marinating the tempeh is also crucial - the Chile-Garlic Sauce not only gives the tempeh itself a world of flavor, but it also acts as the main flavor throughout the entire dish.

Oh, and P.S.: This is one of those dishes where the leftovers are even better than the original serving. So get ready for some epic work lunches this week.

Not into tempeh? Substitute it for tofu, chicken, or shrimp - any of the above would work wonderfully here.

Tell me: Are you a rice fan? Or are you just as ready for a "rice hiatus" as I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment