Wednesday, February 10, 2016

S'more Brownies with Mini Peanut Butter Cups

I remember my first s'more.  It was at my aunt and uncle's house in Lovell, Maine (i.e. the middle of nowhere; although, now it's home to one of America's best craft beer bars. Go figure).

S'more Brownies with Mini Peanut Butter Cups | A Hoppy Medium

Anyway, my uncle created a big bonfire, and me, my siblings, and my four cousins huddled around it. We were handed sticks, given a quick lesson on how to place the jumbo marshmallows on said stick, and went to town playing with fire. Ah, the good old days.

Fast forward to this past summer, where I learned that s'mores can be made even better...with peanut butter cups. That's right: substitute the milk chocolate bars for a peanut butter cup, and you have yourself a mind-blowing s'more.

So, that's how I doctored up this Betty Crocker S'more Brownie recipe. I sprinkled the brownies with peanut butter cups instead of chocolate, for the Super Bowl. But really, calories never count on a Sunday no matter what's on the TV. So feel free to make these this weekend...or tonight.

S'more Brownies with Mini Peanut Butter Cups | A Hoppy Medium

S'more Brownies with Mini Peanut Butter Cups
Yields: 16 servings
Adapted from Betty Crocker
-1 box Betty Crocker brownie mix (or, your favorite brownie mix)
-Water, vegetable oil, and egg called for on brownie mix box
-2 cups miniature marshmallows
-3 graham crackers, broken into small pieces
-1/2 cup mini peanut butter cups, roughly chopped (I used Justin's); or, large peanut butter cups cut into chunks

Directions:
1.) Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or non-stick pan). Make brownies as directed on box. (I used a greased 13x9 glass baking pan). After removing pan from oven, set oven to broil.
2.) Immediately sprinkle marshmallows and graham crackers over warm brownies. Broil about 4 to 5 inches from heat for 30 to 60 seconds, or until marshmallows are golden brown. (Watch carefully - marshmallows and graham crackers will brown quickly!). Sprinkle with peanut butter cups. To serve warm, cool for about 30 minutes. Otherwise, let cool completely before cutting into brownies.

S'more Brownies with Mini Peanut Butter Cups | A Hoppy Medium

No, these are not the healthiest. And yes, your hands will get sticky from the caramelized marshmallows. But you need to live a little sometimes, am I right?? Plus: napkins were created for a reason.

Do you remember your first s'more?

No comments:

Post a Comment